Small and memorable quotes can have an impact and provide a quick and easy way to remember critical things. On this page I have put a selection of what I think are some of the best quotes which may help you, they are even worth saving on your PC to read from time to time. Not all are specifically about trading, but they are relevant.
- “Observation, experience, memory and mathematics – these are what the successful trader must depend on. He must bet always on probabilities – that is, try to anticipate them.” Jesse Livermore.
- “Time is your friend, impulse is your enemy.” Jack Bogle.
- “Without faith in his own judgement no man can go very far in this game.” Jesse Livemore.
- “There is no point in analysing or judging the case for and against, whether a trade is going to work. The professionals have a money management plan in place for how much he is willing to lose and target to win.” Mark Douglas.
- “When a man is right he wants to get all that is coming to him for being right.” Jesse Livermore.
- “In the stock market you can only win if you’re ready to lose” by Unknown.
- “Formal education will make you a living, self-education will make you a fortune.” Jim Rohn.
- “Surround yourself with quality people that you can learn from, find a mentor that can help guide you along the way and don’t give up!” Adam Toren
- “You are trading against the best and brightest in the world with really deep pockets. You have to have an edge, and not give an inch.” Unknown.
- “A stock operator has to fight a lot of expensive enemies within himself.” Jesse Livermore.
- “Don’t be scared to fail. Within failure there is always a lesson. Look forward to failing as it shows that you are actually trying and you are learning through that process.” Jamie Dunn
One of my personal favourite quotes is by T.S Eliot. But it is not so ideal for trading, certainly not individual trades. The quote is:
Only those who risk going to far, can know how far one can go.
The reason it isn’t suitable should be obvious to you. You should never risk going too far via one trade. But I think the message is brilliant for your overall goals, and life as a whole. At the end of the day, how do you know how far you can go in life? You have to take the risks to find out.